Friday, May 20, 2011

I'm Baaackk!!

A group of internet friends do this recipe swap every few weeks. Being the horrible chef that I am, I never joined in on the fun, but I have finally decided to suck it up! So...I'll be back here more often to post the recipes, pictures and results of these various swaps.

But for now, I have found a DELICIOUS wheat free/grain free lasagna!! I made this last night, and the whole family was asking for seconds!! For those who are carb counting, this is also a good one for you! Check it out!

2lbs ground beef (I get 93% lean)
1lb italian sausage (I use applegate farms brand - no preservatives)
1 red onion - diced
4 cloves of crushed garlic (which I actually forgot and it was STILL good!)
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp of sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
28 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
small can tomato paste
1 cup organic black olives sliced (I put more in though - I LOVE me some olives!)
4-6 zucchinis sliced thinly, lengthwise (these act as the 'noodles')

In a large pot, saute onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 3 minutes (looking back now, I have NO IDEA how I forgot the damn garlic! who does that?!) Add in the ground beef and sausage to brown. I added all of the dry ingredients at this point too so the flavor was evenly distributed. Once browned, add in the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir well.



In a large lasagna pan, line the bottom with a layer of sliced zukes (I made my bottome layer a little thick in order to be able to 'scoop' better). Top this layer with the meaty heaven, and then top that with as many or as little olives as you'd like (for me that mean an entire can!) Throw another layer of zukes on top as you would lasagna noodles, and then top off with the meaty heaven again. Top with the olives, cover tightly with tinfoil, and bake it at 350 degrizzles for about 40 minutes.








Also, I don't eat dairy (right now) so I didn't add cheese, but I'll bet that some riccotta or mozzy would make this meal TO DIE for!! This fed our entire family of 4, and I had some left over for lunch today, so it's ALOT of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment